Grayslake Highschool Debate Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Grayslake Highschool Debate Forum

Debate forum for GCHS/GNHS

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is Debate Arguing?

Go down 
+2
The Englishman
Chaoticblade
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chaoticblade
Average Debater
Average Debater
Chaoticblade

Male Number of posts : 197
Where I am : Out of my mind (be back soon)
Registration date : 2006-12-17

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2006 3:49 pm

Is Debate Arguing?
Not necessarily. Debate is more of an activity where you learn to be persuasive. Even people who don't like to argue can have fun in Debate.
All you need is to like to speak on current issues. Then, when you go up to speak, you need to support that point.

Is Debate Hard?
That depends on what kind of person you are. If you like to speak and make new friends, then Debate is perfect for you. Even if you aren't a great speaker, we can help. It's sort of like they say, practice makes perfect. You practice with us, and you can improve substancially.

Well That's my 2 cents of advice.
And to all those new guys, do like the emotocons

Welcome Judge Judge Judge
Back to top Go down
http://Chaoticblade.deviantart.com
The Englishman
too much free time
too much free time
The Englishman

Male Number of posts : 1146
Where I am : London, England
Hobbies : Posting on the Forum

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2006 7:38 pm

Debate can be described as somewhat indirect arguing. You can "refute" a person's points by bringing up your own and you can challenge them in questioning. The point of debate is to vote on bills but to do that, you must have and educated opinion based on what you know and learn which can come from the speeches of others.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell Paglia
Veteran Debater
Veteran Debater
Mitchell Paglia

Male Number of posts : 423
Where I am : Grayslake, Illinois
Hobbies : Reading, Politics(Junior Statesmen of America to be more specific), Games(board and video), reading,
Registration date : 2006-12-14

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Most importantly   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Something that we all must keep in mind is why do we debate. We do not debate to win per say. Sure that is what the material value of debate is, but when looking at politics and discussion of the world around us, we must learn to listen to the other side. That is what real debate is about, respectfully arguing a point and then respectfully refuting that point. No one is ever really going to change someone else's values right away and turn around their beleifs. However, when you actually make someone listen, someone hear why you beleive in what you do, and they move over to your side, even by a little bit, that is true debating and what we should all strive for
Back to top Go down
Chaoticblade
Average Debater
Average Debater
Chaoticblade

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 am

That's right. Debate's main goal is to convince someone that your oppinion is right. This is a tough job, but it is alot of fun. Many just talk to talk which is also fine.

You know what they say, a good debater can talk, a great debater can convince a rock he's a squirl!!!
Back to top Go down
Mitchell Paglia
Veteran Debater
Veteran Debater
Mitchell Paglia

Hobbies : Reading, Politics(Junior Statesmen of America to be more specific), Games(board and video), reading,

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 8:52 pm

You should never expect to change someone's view all together through one debate. You just need to let them know what you think so they can see where you are coming from and just move them a little bit towards what you beleive. That is what winning a debate really is.
Back to top Go down
The Englishman
too much free time
too much free time
The Englishman

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 8:58 pm

If you can get someone to listen, understand and accept your point of view and accept the facts instead of ignoring them, you have done an excellent job debating.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell Paglia
Veteran Debater
Veteran Debater
Mitchell Paglia

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2007 1:29 am

Knowledge is power. If we are trying to prove to someone on maybe where their tax dollars are going, or something else that significantly affects them, then yes we are showing that I suppose.
Back to top Go down
The Englishman
too much free time
too much free time
The Englishman

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 3:35 pm

We want people to be aware of the facts and make decisions based on the facts presented to them, most preferably the choices that your facts support. By showing people your point of view and allowing then to chooses for themselves, you can help create a friendly atmosphere where we can all learn something about the issue and each other.
Back to top Go down
sdemon99
Very Active Debater
Very Active Debater
sdemon99

Male Number of posts : 542
Where I am : Hanging out with Sam. Where else?
Hobbies : Speech team.
Registration date : 2006-12-18

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 8:17 am

Well, mostly friendly.
Back to top Go down
The Englishman
too much free time
too much free time
The Englishman

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 8:18 am

Some people are caught up in material gain and the arguing but we are nice mostly.
Back to top Go down
Ramrod the Violet
Odin-ish
Odin-ish
Ramrod the Violet

Male Number of posts : 1332
Where I am : Cali, catching some waves because, you know we all do that here.
Hobbies : Corrupting all that I touch, playing guitar without touching it so that I won't corrupt it
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 12:17 pm

Material gain? In debate? What?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lukeredmisty
Chaoticblade
Average Debater
Average Debater
Chaoticblade

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2007 1:50 pm

Many times people will speak for the sole reason that they want points. Sadly this has become too wide spread and people have begun to not care about what they are speaking about. This is what is ment by material gain.
Back to top Go down
Mitchell Paglia
Veteran Debater
Veteran Debater
Mitchell Paglia

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2007 11:06 pm

Chaoticblade wrote:
Many times people will speak for the sole reason that they want points. Sadly this has become too wide spread and people have begun to not care about what they are speaking about. This is what is ment by material gain.

I'm going to be quite honest, that is what I do. Anyone who gives a speech on any issue whether they beleive in the pro or con side is doing it as well. I did it when i had a pro and a con speech at the last meeting for kevin's bill, and tossed justin aside pretty much. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I take pride in being able to do things like that, because that is how you win meets, and I'm there to win more than I am to make friends. The latter just comes so easy for me that I don't have to focus on it too much.
Back to top Go down
Chaoticblade
Average Debater
Average Debater
Chaoticblade

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2007 6:39 am

But then you get people who are jerks at tournaments and that tends to throw off the good mood
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Pretty Much Awesome
Pretty Much Awesome
Margaret

Female Number of posts : 872
Where I am : Inside the TARDIS
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2007 5:58 pm

well if the po seems to have that feeling about somebody i have seen that multiple times and then these people you are talking about don't even have the chance to speak

this serves two purposes:
1 even if they have a high speaking order they can only speak a select amount of times because of the even distribution
a. if the po calls on them anyways and they don't recind then the po also has a lot of the blame because of their poor skills.

2. the person probably wont get critics even if only 2/3 of the po's adhere to this policy
a. if this is the case the person may get nominated for a speaker award and because they are such jerks no one will vote for them anyways

i really don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that there are people who only speak for points because that seems to be part of debating too with the high status placed upon awards anyways.

i do think that awards pervert the whole debate thing
yes we should awasd those who excel at debate (especially if it is central or north) but i also think it spawns people like those you are talking about who only speak in order to get points

but now im rambling even though i do have other points on this subject i will wait for some discussion before i speak again on the subject(s)
Back to top Go down
Ramrod the Violet
Odin-ish
Odin-ish
Ramrod the Violet

Hobbies : Corrupting all that I touch, playing guitar without touching it so that I won't corrupt it

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2007 7:49 pm

I joined debate to make freinds and I gotta tell you guys, you people are awesome. Most people dont even give me a chance before they decide they hate me. Atleast here they do. I spend so much time on here cause I love hanging out with you all.
Back to top Go down
Chaoticblade
Average Debater
Average Debater
Chaoticblade

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2007 9:00 am

Thankyou quin, We all try to be friendly and efficient
Back to top Go down
Ramrod the Violet
Odin-ish
Odin-ish
Ramrod the Violet

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 5:09 pm

like those automated telemarketers, except you actually do so and dont just make me mad.
Back to top Go down
Chaoticblade
Average Debater
Average Debater
Chaoticblade

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2007 6:39 am

ya sort of...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is Debate Arguing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Debate Arguing?   Is Debate Arguing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Debate Arguing?
Page 1 of 1